Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cayenne


Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
Agnes Sligh Turnbull

We have lost a dear friend. I wanted to write about it yesterday, but couldn't see the keyboard through my tears. Cayenne, our companion and shepherd, breathed her last on Monday night. The end came quickly. She started panting heavily at about 7pm, and then began hemorrhaging. The vet at Dove Lewis did enough tests to rule out the non-lethal diagnoses. Cay apparently had a mass that had ruptured. Given her age and general health, we asked the doctor to put her down.

We knew the day would come, and dreaded it. Everyone in the family was tightly bonded to Cayenne. She has been such a part of our lives that it's hard to imagine being without her. I especially want to acknowledge how much she taught me about life. This is not hyperbole. She was an exceptional being.

Grief is the price we pay for loving deeply. I have preached this to many others. Now our entire family is living out that truth, and paying that price.

We trust that we made the right decision. The end for Cayenne was gentle and quick. She did not deserve more pain. I struggle with the decision, but would rather have the emotional turmoil myself than watch her struggle with physical distress. So we bid her farewell. Our lives were enriched and deepened by her presence. And there is an empty place left behind that I am certain will never be filled.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it hurts and the empty place she has left is a sacred thing. Cayennes life with us and our bond is something that we can long cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend. What a good companion she was.

    ReplyDelete