Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Meaning of Life

I really enjoy deep, philosophical speculation about the meaning of life and the nature of existence. Unfortunately, I am finding that taking the time to engage in such processes is a luxury I cannot afford of late.

Yesterday featured yet another (failed) attempt to acquire recycling, composting and trash containers from Waste Management. I am beginning to suspect that Portland encourages cutting back on waste by refusing to provide containers for its collection.

Sally, Erin and I also made the pilgrimmage to DMV to get driver's licenses yesterday. We had carefully compiled the necessary documentation, studied our manuals, and acquired the requisite cash. Unfortunately, I failed to note that I needed to produce documentation of my social security number. A US passport is simply not adequate identification in Oregon. (Note: the law requiring evidence of a social security number has been changed, and will not be in effect after January 1. Not much solace for me yesterday, however). We all passed our knowledge tests, vision tests, and photo tests, and now have temporary Oregon permits. Huzzah!

We took Juni to the vet at 5 and were relieved of our fears for her life and $169.90. She has a clostridium flare-up which is treatable with antibiotics and fancy food.

Finally, I'm pleased to announce that the toilet malfunctioned last night. Pleased because it didn't happen while all the kids were here, and pleased because of all the plumbing problems within the realm of possibility, the failure of the tank supply valve is among the least serious.

So keep looking for the silver lining, maintain a sense of humor, be nice to strangers and even nicer to those closest to you, get rid of stuff you don't need, stop buying it in the first place, work for justice and peace.

Oh, and use high efficiency laundry detergent in the new washer.

No comments:

Post a Comment