Sunday, January 9, 2011

Bike Trainer


After wrestling with the decision about exercise methods, I bought a Kinetic Bike Trainer on Saturday. I "rode" last night and again this afternoon. Sally tried it this evening. At this early juncture it seems a success. It feels more like riding a bike than any exercise bike. I did have to make some adjustments. I changed to a training tire that is both smaller and composed of harder rubber. It seems the trainer becomes quite hot while in use and will quickly wear through a conventional tire.

My goal in this is to exercise nearly every day for at least 30 minutes. In part my goal is cardio-vascular health. Walking in the winter just isn't strenuous enough, and my knees won't bear jogging, even if I could stay erect. On the other hand I hope to keep my legs and lungs strong enough to make the springtime resumption of riding less traumatic. South Hill is a challenge on most days, and the first few attempts of the season are quite daunting. Of course if I can do this while keeping my weight under control that will be an added benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment